Monday, February 20, 2012

Scallion Meatballs with Soy-Ginger Glaze

Print or download the recipe:

* * *

I think I will run away with cilantro and marry it.

Found this recipe over at Smitten Kitchen, and ooooh, was it delicious!


The recipe called for sweet rice wine vinegar, or regular supplemented with sugar. I could only find regular, so, wary of making the sauce too sweet, I used only half the sugar that the recipe suggested and it was still too sweet for my taste. So next time I'd use the regular rice wine vinegar again to begin with, and omit the sugar entirely. I think the brown sugar gives it plenty sweetness.


Speaking of brown sugar, the first thing you do is add it to a pan with water. Bring that to a boil and stir till all the sugar is dissolved.


Chop up some fresh ginger and add that, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ground coriander, and black peppercorns to the brown sugar and water. Stir this occasionally until it's reduced by half and thick and syrupy.


In the meantime, combine some ground turkey, an egg, lots of chopped scallions (green onions) and cilantro, black pepper, sesame oil (by the way, there's nothing quite like the smell of sesame oil, mmmm), and more soy sauce in a bowl and mix it up well. Shape it into little balls and pan-fry them till they're cooked through.


Strain that glaze and pour it over the meatballs. Beautiful.

(Before you move on, can I just say it is NOT my fault that I'm forced to take pictures of my food on the hideous old-ladyish plate you see below? I might have to find myself a husband just so I can put some classic white dishes on a gift registry.)


Serve over basmati rice and garnish with a sprig of cilantro. Or, stick the meatballs with toothpicks and serve as appetizers with a bowl of glaze for dipping on the side.

1 comment:

  1. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is hideousness. (I think it is pretty, but then I'm an old lady.) ;) You are using regular sesame oil, not toasted, correct?

    ReplyDelete