Sunday, March 18, 2012

Perfect Cinnamon Rolls

Print or download the recipe:
Perfect Cinnamon Rolls

* * *

I've been craving cinnamon rolls for months now, so when I woke up to a phone call saying church had been cancelled and went outside to find this, I decided today would be the perfect time to whip up some warm, gooey deliciousness.


By the way, will someone please tell me why it's snowing in Arizona in March? It's just not fair.

It's odd to me that I've been craving cinnamon rolls at all, since I've only eaten three or four in my entire life that I didn't find disgusting. They're normally too sweet, too gummy, too dense, or have way not enough filling. But on the rare occasion that I do encounter a perfect cinnamon roll, it's love at first taste. And it's a beautiful love story, let me tell you. I've held out on making them myself until now for fear of breaking the spell. But when I found this recipe over at Smitten Kitchen, I figured it must be good or Deb never would have posted it. Unfortunately mine did not turn out quite perfectly. I think I must have overheated my milk and killed my yeast somewhat, because my dough never rose as much as it should have, and the rolls were consequently a tad too dense. But they still tasted so amazing I knew they would be absolutely perfect had the yeast worked out. Hence the title is justified.


So here's the drill. Heat milk and butter in the microwave until the butter's melted. Add it to a large bowl with sugar, yeast, a little flour, and an egg. Mix it up till it's not lumpy anymore. (I did this by hand, but if you have a stand mixer, which sadly I do not, I'm sure it would be much easier.) Add some more flour and mix it till it's all well incorporated.


Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead till it's smooth and stretchy, adding more flour if the dough's too sticky. This'll take 5-10 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and put in a greased bowl to rise. Cover with plastic wrap and rise at room temp for about 2 hours.


When the dough has about doubled in size turn it out onto a floured surface and roll into approximately a 12"x15" rectangle. Soften half a stick of butter and spread evenly across the dough. Then mix up some brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the butter.


Roll the dough up tightly from long side to long side. Trim the ends off and cut into 18 evenly thick slices. Place in two square greased baking dishes. Cover with plastic wrap and rise till doubled, about 1 hour.


Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and bake the cinnamon rolls for about 20 minutes, until light golden on top. Invert rolls onto a cooling rack and let them sit for about 5 minutes before inverting them back onto a plate.


To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, melted butter, and heavy cream until smooth. Drizzle over the cinnamon rolls. Now, I'm going to say something very important here. Please, please, please eat these hot! Cold cinnamon rolls are nasty, nasty, nasty! So if you're not going to eat them all at once (but who are we kidding?), give 'em a quick zap in the microwave later on. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment