Monday, April 23, 2012

Fettucini with Creamy Portobello Gruyere Sauce

Print or download the recipe:
Fettucini with Creamy Portobello Gruyere Sauce

* * *

Mushrooms. Cheese. Cream. Wine. Yeah, that sounds about right. I recently had one of those rare moments of instant enlightenment where I just suddenly knew exactly what I wanted to make and exactly how I would make it. And somehow I knew it would be perfect because I could taste it in my mind. This did not disappoint!


Start by boiling a pot of fettucini, or whatever kind of pasta you prefer. Meanwhile sauté some portobello mushrooms and garlic. When they're tender and filling your olfactory system with all sorts of wonderfulness, add some white wine. I used a dry chardonnay, but I can imagine a sweet wine would be lovely too, though quite different. Let the alcohol cook off a bit and then add some chicken stock that you've whisked a little flour into.


And this is where we get serious. Stir in some heavy cream and a whole bunch of shredded gruyere cheese. Season with salt and pepper to the satisfaction of your gustatory system (ok, I had to look that one up). If you think the sauce is too thick you can add a little more chicken stock at this point.


Drain your pasta and pour the sauce over it and then garnish with some chopped sun-dried tomatoes and fresh Italian parsley. Besides the nice flavors these add, I love the pop of color they lend to an otherwise monochromatic dish.

This recipe is so quick, so easy, and so delicious!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of pasta! I'm going to make it for the hubby this weekend. Good luck with your blog. Can't wait to see what else you dream up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mushrooms, cream and cheese? I'm hooked! I love the sundried tomatoes too - this dish looks so comforting and satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the use of portabella's in this recipe!! Sounds delicious, I can't wait to try it myself...Thanks for sharing!!

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete