Friday, April 27, 2012

Spicy Pepper Steak Tacos

Print or download the recipe:
Spicy Pepper Steak Tacos

* * *

For some frustrating reason I'm always most creative under pressure. (This makes meal planning and shopping a dreaded chore.) If I'd had a week to think about what to do with the chuck roast in my freezer I probably would have ended up settling for a traditional boring pot roast. But when I was frantic to get something started for dinner this morning, and knew I had to incorporate a few things in my refrigerator that simply must go now, it all came together somehow. And it was so not boring!


Take a small roast of whatever variety you like. Don't leave it in your freezer long enough to get freezer burned, as I did. Also, if you're smart, unlike me, you'll thaw it before cooking so you can trim off all the fat. Anyway, put it in a large dutch oven or covered roasting pan.


Generously coat both sides of the roast with salt & pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Add some tomato bouillon to the pot. I love the flavor of this Knorr® Caldo de Tomate.


Cut up an onion, red and green bell peppers, and some fresh garlic. Add them to the pot along with some red pepper flakes and dried oregano. Add about an inch of water to the pot.


Cover the roast and put in a 300° oven. Cook for 3-4 hours, depending on the size of the roast, and whether it started from frozen or thawed. Or throw it all in the slow-cooker and let it sit all day. Basically you want it to be falling apart by the end. Pull the roast to shreds with a couple forks, and mix it all up with the sauce.


Spoon into soft tacos and top with a dollop of sour cream and some cheddar or monterey jack cheese. Then savor the mouth-watering yumminess of it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment